Wednesday 20 August 2014

Thanks for this interesting historical context

Thanks to Geoff Walker for this very interesting piece of historical context, which shows how the train line used to operate:

"Hi Elana. I've just finished reading through your blog after your dad told me about it.

I'm well familiar with the Edwin Davey Flour Mill, as the goods trains which serviced it used the Glebe tunnel, the Jubilee Park entrance to which lies nearly under my house. Lying in bed in the quiet of the middle of the night with my ear to the pillow I used to occasionally feel rather than hear those trains' gentle rumblings coming through the sandstone under my house. I'd often see a goods carriage, or maybe 2, waiting forlornly on the siding under the mill. This continued right up to the early '90s when the line was ready to be electrified for the advent of the light rail.

Keep up the informative writing, Elana!
Geoff Walker" 

No comments:

Post a Comment